[aprssig] future problems with NWS radar images? Part I of at least 2

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Mar 29 10:55:49 EST 2005

I can talk a bit about RIDGE.  That initiative comes out of the Southern
Region.

We're more'n a little familiar with Level II radar data here.  I'm
generating a *LOT* of Level II gif images already.

As Pete points out later, the current projects are polar stereographic.
  This works OK for small range plots, and is the best representation
for them to use, overall.  The distortion, as I indicated, isn't too bad
for  radar-service-area size plots vice unprojected (Lat/Lon) images.

When I prepare the CONUS radar images (and there are things happening
there for the UI-view world, and eventually the Xastir world to get
OGC-compliant WMS imagery; if other authors are interested, contact me
off-list) they're done as a cylindrical equidistant projection:
Unprojected, Lat/Lon.  This is done to make life easier for the various
APRS-ish programs.

NWS started making data widely available to the community in a "new" and
less processed format about a year ago:  Level II.  First, a bit of
background.

Level III images are created at each individual radar site, as jpegs,
then munged and transmitted in a completely different format that allows
recovery of the inherent data.  At least 15 separate products are
created, in base reflectivity at various antenna elevations, storm and
radial velocities, hail parameters, vertical wind profiles, and
vertically integrated liquid.  Resolutions are 1km x 1km per pixel for
all polar-plot products.  I use Unidata's Gempak programs to create the
various images from Level III (and Level II) data.

Since I don't trust the list to not truncate, here's the end of part I.
Gerry