[aprssig] future problems with NWS radar images?

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Tue Mar 29 06:55:23 EST 2005

That is correct.  The current single radar site gifs are not orthogonal,
they are stereographic centered on the radar site.  I have tables at
http://www.aprs-is.net/wx/wxradarsites.htm which gives the corners for
each site.

You are also correct that there is only a few pixel difference since the
scale is only a 120 mile radius.  However, that is can represent up to a
mile difference in the outer areas of the map.  I use the stereographic
project in jFindu mapping for NWS radar images.  The formulae that I use
are derived from
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/StereographicProjection.html  As you
probably are already aware, there are some c libraries out there that
also do the different projections.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net