[aprssig] Fine Tuned New n-N Paradigm Filters

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Mar 28 19:54:13 EST 2005

On Mar 28, 2005, at 4:16 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Just look at the uses of APRS:  For WX, for Mobiles,
> For INFO Queries, for DFing for storm chasing, for
> local events, for state-wide nets, for internet messaging
> for FINDU tracking...  All of these may need a DIFFERENT
> path setting based on the SENDERS intent.

PLEASE do not include the last two in this list, internet  tracking and
findU. From the beginning I purposefully designed the APRS Internet
System and findU to be smart enough NOT to need anything changed in the
sender's path.

Seriously, how useful would the internet messaging function be if, in
order to send a message to your mobile, I had to enter the callsign of
an IGate near you into my path? It was not difficult to add that level
of intelligence into the internet routing. It can be done on the RF
side, the difference is the code for most TNCs is not accessible for
change, the programming skills needed to implement the change is
specialized, and the installed base of digi's very large.

The RF network CAN be made source routing independent, in my opinion it
should be done. If someone steps forward the the expertise to do it, it
will be done, most likely in a few very congested areas at first.
Despite your heroic efforts at kludging up the Wn-n protocol, it won't
be a final answer, because it depends on the correct actions of too
many people, many of who are either ignorant of the realities of
running an RF network, or too self-centered to care.

Steve K4HG