[aprssig] Fine Tuned New n-N Paradigm Filters

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Mar 28 09:46:56 EST 2005

DIGI Owners should fine-tune their New n-N Paradgim
filters to match their SPECIFIC needs at each specific
digi.

Although we say to put WIDE7-7, WIDE6-6, etc as
traps in your New n-N Paradigm digi, in most cases
that is not what is causing your local problem, so dont
waste filters on them.

Say your digi is 2 hops from a big city in another state
and your area has no interest in seeing  the QRM from
that city, then you might want to use WIDE5-3, WIDE4-2,
and WIDE3-1 in your UIDIGI Alias filter list.  This will
cut down on MOST of the abuse from that area, MOST
of the time, yet still let you see the WIDE3-3 mobile that
travels into your area..

So dont just blindly set your filters to WIDE7-7, 6-6, 5-5
when that is not your local propblem.  Use these filters
to match to the problem in your specific area...

You might think that you don't have enough filters,
but like in our area where we have 40 digis in 128
mile radius, that is over 160 filters to play with!!!

In the long run, if every digi filtered say 4-4 or 5-5 and
above, then fine-tuning would not be needed since
these packets would never get in.  But it will be years
before we get to 100% New n-N digis.  So in the mean
time just attack the 3 or 4 worst paths at *each* digi.

and with WIDEn-N now being fully traced, it is very
easy to see WHERE to put the filters...

de WB4APR, Bob