[aprssig] Puget Sound packet hog counter

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 24 11:18:29 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> >I just looked at the packet hog usage,...
> >at.  http://packet.fortgirlfriend.com/usage.html
>
> I sure wish this page displayed the full PATH or a link to it.
> It does have a column that shows ****CHECK*** though
> I'm not sure what that means.  But it does not show if
> RELAY or WIDE preceeds the display.
>
> In the example you gave, the station is using
> RELAY,TRACE3-3 and it is the RELAY that is causing all
> the dupes, since RELAY and WIDE have no dupe
> eliimination mechanism.
>
> We have got to get people to realize that beginning a path
> with RELAY is a definate DUPE generator, and that it
> should not be generally used.  Especially in areas
> saturated with mountain top digis...

The station being talked about (in my area, and I know him) may need
the RELAY in the path in order to go up into the hills/mountains
where you get a lot of shading from the mountaintop digis.  That's
why I run RELAY (SAR & canyons), but I run RELAY,WIDE2-2.  Yea, I'm
on the same hog counter list.

The mountaintop digis work great when you're a bit away from the
mountains, but once you go up into the canyons you need all the help
you can get, often just to get one position out every hour.

Since he's in SAR, give him a break on the RELAY.  RELAY,WIDE2-2 and
WIDE2-2 are the recommended paths around here right now, and this is
a _very_ well run network.  We have a lot of stations around here,
and people still get on the map just fine.