[aprssig] Icon/Overlay question

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Mar 16 16:19:29 EST 2005

On Mar 16, 2005, at 1:40 AM, Phillip B. Pacier wrote:

> I'm sure this has been debated, but I'll bring it up again.  Is there
> a standard icon/overlay for a station that is both a digi and an
> IGate?

No, you can only choose one or the other. Keep in mind the symbol is
not the indicator of the function of the station. Both IGates and digis
can be identified by their functioning within the network, digis by
their appearance in the path by callsign substitution in most cases,
IGates by the q construct on the internet side and by third party
packets on the RF side.

Furthermore, both the IGate and digi functions are automatic, the user
does not need to know either is there to take full advantage of their
resources.

So, use whichever you think is the more significant function, or choose
something unrelated to either (for example, I use an island symbol in
the Keys and an Apple symbol in Miami).

Steve K4HG