[aprssig] Giving a talk on APRS - got any power point slides ?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Mar 13 13:54:13 EST 2005

jim at stuckinthemud.org wrote:

>Could I have the alternative link as well please, as I just get a page of
>advertising on the one supplied below.
>

>Hi Andy
>
>You're welcome to use to modify the one I have at
>http://www.qsl.net/ve5aa/APRS_presentation.htm.  The source files for it can
>be downloaded at http://www.qsl.net/ve5aa/APRS_presentation.zip.  If you
>find the download going slowly, please send me a note off the list and I can
>send you an alternate URL.

The problem is that the period ending the sentence is being considered
part of the URL which makes it invalid. You must ALWAYS have white space
around a URL so that it looks something like
       http://www.qsl.net/ve5aa/APRS_presentation.htm     this.

Also, some mail clients insert hard carriage returns at the end of a
line when they word-wrap long sentences, which will break URLs if they
wrap to a second line.  To ensure that URLs don't word-wrap, you always
want to cite them starting at the left of a new line as I am doing here,
      http://www.qsl.net/ve5aa/APRS_presentation.zip
and then type a few spaces after the URL before starting a new line.
This also makes it easier  to select and copy the URL without picking up
the invisible carriage return at the end of the line,  [Some mail
clients don't automatically turn URLs into live links, requiring you to
select and copy (Ctrl-C) the URL text and then  hand-paste it (Ctrl-V)
into a browser. ]

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs
Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: