[aprssig] TM-271A manual;

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 16:23:18 EST 2005

scott at opentrac.org wrote:

>D'Oh!  That really sucks.  I could swear the specs on Gigaparts said it had
>one.  I tried to download the full manual, but it came back as a 0-byte
>file.
>
>Scott
>N1VG

I downloaded the TM271 manual with no problems  and have placed it on my
website.

Again:
     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/miscinfo

Look for "Kenwwood TM271 Manual.PDF" .  As usual, left-clicking the link
will try to open the PDF in your browser, while RIGHT-clicking will
offer to "Save Target As... " which is usually what one wants.  It's a
1.25MB file download.

I quickly reviewed the manual and, yes there IS NO minidin on the US
model.  I can't understand why they left the MiniDIN I/O connector off.
Perhaps this is a damning commentary on the state of packet in the U.S.
vs in Europe!     I wonder if this has something to do with the NOAA
weather radio alert function built into the US version that is not in
the Euro model????

I would assume the hole in the case, and the pads on the PC board would
still be there for the din plug. Perhaps one could thread a pigtail made
from the female end of a PS/2 extension cord through the plugged hole
and tack the leads down to the empty pads inside,   if you can't find an
exact match solderdown PS/2 jack to fit the PC board.  (Perhaps, we
could send a message to Kenwood if great numbers of US users start
ordering "replacement part"  jacks for the Euro version. )

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs
Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: