[aprssig] RE: APRS System Overiding Fundamentals

Phillip B. Pacier ad6nh at arrl.net
Wed Mar 9 00:45:47 EST 2005

Thanks, Dick.

Baker to Vegas is a law-enforcement team relay race that tracks 120
miles through the Mojave Desert, roughly from the town of Baker, CA to
Las Vegas, NV.  There will be a total of 230 teams running in the event
this year.  That is 5,750 total runners, plus support, volunteers, and
spectators, so we figure we probably bring a good 10,000 people out into
the desert for a weekend.  It is one of the larger amateur radio
supported events, with about 250 hams working race communications and at
least an equal number assisting individual teams with their inter-team
communications.  500 hams!  Wowzers!

APRS began to become popular with the race several years ago.  Last
year, we had 45 of the follow and support vehicles with full tracker
packages.  We certainly make excellent use of that facet of APRS.  This
year, it should be around 50.  We have had to come up with some
ingeneous ways to acommodate 50 trackers on the 1200 baud channel, but
it works fairly well with a minimal amount of impact to the surrounding
areas (this year should be very little impact, as we will be using our
own race-specific unproto path).  Many of the teams and support crews
monitor the action on RF receiver/laptop setups or from internet
terminals via the www.b2vtracking.com website.

This year, I do intend to make use of objects to assist with the
tracking of important vehicles, such as the medics and helicopters (45
medics, 10 ambulances, and 2-3 birds are reserved for the race), and the
first and last place runners (if they do not have tracking systems in
their cars).  It will be a total use of many different parts of APRS.
It is also painfully obvious that we need to setup infrastructure for a
parallel channel next year, and that will be done.  Whether it will be a
9600 baud trunk, node, or a parallel 1200 baud network is to be
determined, but it will have to be done as we are already exceeding the
channel capacity.  It works because all trackers use KPC3 TNCs that have
their beacons time slotted.  Each beacon box sends out a beacon every 4
minutes, and the slots are spaced 4 seconds apart.  This assures that no
tracker box will transmit at the same time as another, and we generally
have enough digis along the course that one or more can hear the
tracker.  It isn't perfect, and it is tough for 144.39 to handle, but it
will be this way for one more year.

If you have any other questions about the race or how you can become
involved <g>, send me an email!

Back to you, Dick! :)

73
Phil - AD6NH