[aprssig] APRS System Overiding Fundamentals

John Kraus jfkraus3 at cox.net
Tue Mar 8 19:37:23 EST 2005

At 06:11 PM 3/8/2005, you wrote:

>** Please Please Please ** people, don't take this as UI-View bashing.  It
>is not.  Like most of you, I have used UI-View32 for years and only recently
>started playing with APRSdos after being impressed by Bob's demo.  All I am
>trying to do is point out some things APRSdos can do that UI-View can not.
>And it goes without saying that the door does swing both ways. ;-)

This is the root of my recent comments about UI_Views message function.  I
began in APRS with APRSdos in the 1990's.  I think it was version 62a if I
remember correctly. I am therefore familiar with the potential of a
properly designed system.

I don't think that anyone should state that one program is better than
another until they have thoroughly used APRSdos in several actual
events.  It remains the gold standard for user functionality.  Once the
learning curve is conquered it is sweet.

It has two main flaws.  The maps have never achieved the eye friendliness
or precision that is desired.  It also lacks the ability to multitask with
the internet in a robust manner.