[aprssig] WA8LMF UI-View webserver down, now back up

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Mar 8 16:10:34 EST 2005

Stephen WA8LMF wrote on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:15 PM PST

> The post-mortem on the original PC revealed that six
> 1000uF 25V aluminum electrolytic capacitors  (part of
> the motherboard DC/DC converter that supplies 1.5
> VDC and 3.3 VDC to the Celeron CPU) were bulging
> outward on top. One had actually split and leaked goo
> onto a toroidal choke where it fried into a black crisp.

There have been several fairly recent articles in a number of computer magazines about electrolytic caps bursting on motherboards. I don't remember which manufacturs were mentioned or if HP was amongst them. Have you looked around to see if anyone else is reporting the problem for the same motherboard that you are using? Could be a problem with all mobos of that type from the manufacturer, or it could be they received a bad batch of capacitors, or you could have a power supply (voltages too high?) that is causing them to fail. A look in the bios should show the voltages present... if you can get it booted. If the mobo is dead, you might have to use another mobo to boot up and look at the voltages.

If the voltages from the power supply are high, chuck it out or scrap it for parts. Wouldn't want to have it ruin the next motherboard. Hopefully the power supply checks out OK.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH