[aprssig] WA8LMF UI-View webserver down, now back up

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Mar 8 15:15:56 EST 2005

Sometime yesterday, the computer powering my UI-View webserver had a
power supply failure and shut down, knocking
    http://wa8lmf.dyndns.org:14439
off the air.   I've spent the last 12 hours moving the server setup to
another PC  and have it back up (I think).

The post-mortem on the original PC revealed that six 1000uF 25V aluminum
electrolytic capacitors  (part of the motherboard DC/DC converter that
supplies 1.5 VDC and 3.3 VDC to the Celeron CPU) were bulging outward on
top. One had actually split and leaked goo onto a toroidal choke where
it fried into a black crisp.

This was supposedly an HP "corporate" PC  (not a no-name el-cheapo
generic or low-end consumer HP from Circuit City)  that had been running
24/7 for about 9 months.   Make your own conclusions......

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs
Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: