[aprssig] APRS System Overiding Fundamentals

Phillip B. Pacier ad6nh at arrl.net
Tue Mar 8 16:40:01 EST 2005

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) wrote:

>Bob gave a brief APRSdos demo at the Richmond hamfest.  To be honest, I was
>amazed at the capabilities of APRSdos.  So many people have written it off
>because it is a DOS program.  I know better now after seeing it in action by
>someone that knows how to use it!!

Because I made mention of it, I will respond briefly.  I think it is a
great program and I remember seeing my first presentation on it way back
when.  I would like to make better use of it, but I need TCP/IP
support.  It doesn't make sense for me to run several different APRS
programs to get all of the functions I think I need.  UI-View works the
best for me, but definitely has a few issues that will continue to be
problematic as time goes on.  I have yet to figure out how to run Xastir
on my Windows box (sorry, I just don't know Linux well enough to have a
Linux box, nor do I have the time to learn another OS), plus I want to
be able to use Precision Mapping software with whatever I run.  APRSDos
is great for the fundamentals of APRS, but I have moved way beyond the
linear resolution mapping that it supports (plus the TCP issue).

That's all!
73
Phil - AD6NH