[aprssig] Does UI-View have a decaying algorithm? Where is it?

John Kraus jfkraus3 at cox.net
Mon Mar 7 21:33:12 EST 2005

At 08:50 PM 3/7/2005, you wrote:
>John K wrote on 07/03/2005 4:51:07 PM PST
>
> > As I said before APRS style messaging in UI-View is broken and all the
> > kings men using all the semantic tricks in the world can't change that
> fact.
>
>I wouldn't want to rely upon you in an emergency if you were using the
>wrong tools.
>
>73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

No worrys mate.

I now use Xastir for EMCOMM.  I just want people to be absolutely clear
that UI-View does not meet the design principle and is a poor choice for
messaging in a real-time emergency.  I fought with it for over a year and
it repeatedly let me down.  Now I am having to explain my earlier
recommendation and why I am back tracking.  I was recommending it when I
was carrying on a dialogue with Roger trying to get him to add these things.

UI-View is a great program if all you need is an IGATE or digi or you want
to watch the weather boxes and counties light up.  That is what I use it
for.  I do this simply because the same computer is running AGWPE PRO and
TelPac and Gibson Ridge Softwares GRw88 level III radar program and I have
not had time to find Linux alternatives.

You see I recognize that not all problems are nails and therefore not all
fixes require a hammer.  I keep my tool box stocked with an assortment of
tools and am not limited in their application.  I also recognize and keep
in mind the limitations of all of the tools at my disposal so that I won't
be caught opening me beer with a jack knife.

73 de John Kraus KC4ZGQ
Georgia DEC for Digital Communications