[aprssig] Status of NOSaprs (2.0) project + JNOS 2.0

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Mon Mar 7 15:41:46 EST 2005

Greetings all,

I figured I should give an update on the status of NOSaprs, which has
not seen an update since September of 2004. It's been almost 6 months
since then. My main excuse is that all my free time has been dedicated
to the JNOS 2.0 project and family. I should change the order of that to
read - family and the JNOS 2.0 project - chuckle ! But seriously ...

For those of you that don't know - NOSaprs is a project I started back in
April of 2001, allowing people who run NOS based internet gateways, to also
provide some general APRS services, using their existing configurations. The
primary goal was APRS Igate functionality, but other features have been put
in through requests or because of my own needs.

NOSaprs is now at version 2.0 and official development is actually part
of the JNOS 2.0 project now. The original website is more for reference
purposes right now (until I find time to update it). The website is :

   http://www.langelaar.net/projects/nosaprs

There is an update kit for you people still running JNOS 1.11f and TNOS
2.40, that will update your NOSaprs to the latest NOSaprs 2.0 that ships
with the JNOS 2.0 project.

Those of your running JNOS 2.0 can use that update kit as well, since
the features were added after the JNOS 2.0c3 release. The only change
since JNOS 1.16+ is that I have changed the logon to the APRS internet
system so that you can now make use of the JavaAPRS server filters on
port 14580, allowing you to customize your data feed, and not get back
the firehose of data that you normally get on the regular ports.

Check the website above for complete details (includes a README).

----

The JNOS 2.0 project itself can be found at the following website :

   http://www.langelaar.net/projects/jnos2

Among the features is support for HF digital modems, like :

  SCS PTC II PRO

  Halcomm's DXP series.

  Still working on KAM support

---