[aprssig] Please Fix Your UI-Traffic

hasan schiers schiers at netins.net
Fri Mar 4 20:06:54 EST 2005

Hi Earl,

First, don't have ui-traffic issue the probe info...do it in your aprs
client beacon. If ui-view32, put the string in the Beacon comment field. The
string to put in will appear in ui-traffic when you set it up...just don't
use it. I know this sounds silly, but doing it the way I suggest prevents
double icons from appearing.

If you set things up correctly, you will have one "?" object and it will be
your traffic object. It will NOT be a callsign, it will be an object with a
callsign "owner". If you have multiple "?" objects (right click on the icon
and you should not see a "choice", it should simply be details (if using
ui-view32), you are not set up correctly.

So...we have TWO issues:

1. A bug, which I explained how to kill.
2. Setup problems that cause multiple objects that server no purpose.

Use ui-traffic for traffic counts and reporting only. Don't use it to SEND
probe info. Use it it to anlayze traffic and probe info.

Use your aprs client (ui-view32 for example) to SEND the probe data by
putting it in your beacon. Make sure your beacon interval is constent with
what you set your probe SEND data to be. (Don't beacon every 15 mins and
send out probe data that says you are sending the info every 30 mins <g>).

Hope this helps ya!

We have about 4 or 5 stations in our ALOHA circle that transmit ui-traffic
info. Not every station should be doing it...as it will clutter the channel
with its 10 minute count report cycle. It is a network monitoring/analysis
too that should not be abused. It is very valuable and instructive. As you
make network changes (as in the new paradigm from Bob, WB4APR), the counts
respond quite markedly if the changes are effective (and they are, if
implemented properly).

You can also observe peak cycles (morning and evening drives) readily by
observing the 24 hour graph of counts (1 minute resolution, no less!). Andy
has done a terrific job with this tool and I hope to be chatting with him
about some improvements that would reduce channel clutter, in the near
future.

In addition, W0DP has written a very clever program to go to the findu site,
download and massage the data there (automatically on a timed cycle), and
graph the traffic count, local station station count (IGATE), message count
(Igate), and Best DX report (generated by UI-View32) for up to 4 stations at
a time over a time period from 1 to 240 hours. Quite amazing. It's not ready
for release yet, but I've been testing it for a couple months and it really
does a nice job.

With this handy tool, (combined with ui-traffic) you can observe traffic
density, number of stations being served by an Igate, and propagation
characteristics.

These kinds of tools, taken along with assiduous monitoring (read as
watching the terminal screen for extended periods of time), can result in a
very fine performing network. It takes effort, but it sure has paid off
here. There is no substitute for monitoring the network extensively and then
communicating with the user base.

73,

...hasan, N0AN