[aprssig] APRS Message Idea

John Kraus jfkraus3 at cox.net
Fri Mar 4 16:00:20 EST 2005

At 01:47 PM 3/4/2005, you wrote:
>Um... no, Bob.
>
>You do not set the Bulletin and Announcement Intervals, they are preset
>according to the APRS Spec on those message types.  You select one like
>you would in WinAPRS or whatever else supports it.
>
>You set a retry ONCE for ALL messages, not for "*Each* and *Every* message".
>
>All of your arguments listed below are frivolous, and I'm kinda getting
>tired of hearing you blast the program that I doubt you have ever loaded
>on your computer and looked at.  We're just not going to switch back to
>DOS and run dosARPS anymore!  I'm sorry, but blasting the usefulness of
>the software is going to do nothing but turn people off from APRS
>completely.  In the spirit of amateur radio, please pre-read your
>
>73
>Phil Pacier - AD6NH
>http://www.aprsca.net

I beg to disagree Bob is absolutely correct on this issue.

I have used both programs in real world application and the decay algorithm
works the way Bob says it does.  It also has the positive effect that he
attributes to it.

UI-View's implementation of messaging is broke busted and completely falls
apart under stress.

Don't believe me.

Get on a quiet channel and try UI-View, APRSDOS, APRS+, xastir side by
side.  Send the same messages from each system and measure the length of
time and number of packets it takes to get the message through.  Then get
on 144.39 and do the same test.   UI-View will bust it's nose when it falls
flat on its face.

And I get really tired of folks that slam Bob for pointing out the failure
of user programs to deliver the result he designed into the system.

Don't get me wrong I like UI-View and use it for my IGATE.  But when the
fertilizer is in the wind I reach for Xastir or APRSdos to send messages.