[aprssig] MIC-E and APRS

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Fri Mar 4 12:23:35 EST 2005

At 10:19 AM 3/4/2005, Scott Miller wrote:
>The surface mount versions of both the TinyTrak and OpenTracker would
>probably fit too, I just don't see that much benefit.  It's still got to get
>power somewhere.  For a mobile it might make more sense - you've often got
>maybe 8 volts for running lights and keypads and such.
>
>My old Yaesu FT-209 has a space for a CTCSS encoder board that'd probably
>fit a tracker, too, but it'd still need an external GPS receiver and some
>external connection.

         I get the feeling that, for this to happen, we'll have to go from
a point where APRS is a primary operation to a point where APRS is simply
an add-on that EVERYBODY does.  I mean, right now, most of us who run APRS
have dedicated 2-meter rigs for that, a TNC, GPS, etc.  It's basically a
second station in out house or vehicle.  At some point, we may or may not
move to a spot where the PRIMARY station does it all.

         Just musing...
         Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info