[aprssig] New APRS Hardware (was: NEW! IC-V82 - VHF/APRS Transceiver)

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) ajfarmer at spenet.com
Thu Mar 3 00:05:56 EST 2005

>Why dont we build one our selves ?

That's exactly what I was just thinking...

The HamHud is out there, but it's really not much more advanced than the
D-700 (my flame suit is on)!   Yes, it has a lot of neat features, but it's
not a quantum leap.

I guess the question is, what do we want?

-Big Color LCD display (5" X 5" or so)
-Moving Map
-Built in GPS
-Software based open source TNC (for easy feature upgrading)
-Built in radio
-What else?

Seriously...  Just off the top of my head I think: embedded PC running
Linux, Xastir, OEM LCD, OEM GPS, uTNC or TNC-X...  The hardware and software
is out there, and there are enough brains on this list to put all the pieces
together...  We can do this...

A lot of us (me included) sometimes tend to look for the minimum "junk" that
is out there that we can throw together to get something running.  If we
look at the other end of the spectrum and incorporate some of the latest
technology, then maybe we will have a chance to catch back up with the
commercial communications industry that is day by day getting closer to
putting us in the history books.

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com