[aprssig] balloon tracker

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Mar 2 13:48:04 EST 2005

What brand/chemistry were you using?  Are you sure it was the batteries
freezing that killed it?

I think most of the consumer grade lithium cells are lithium/manganese
dioxide.  I looked up the specs on one of my favorites, the CR123A, and it's
rated to -40C.  Tadiran sells lithium thionyl chloride cells rated to -55C.
Haven't tried them, but they've got a good reputation.  Digi-Key carries
them - a 2.4 Ah, 3.6 V 'AA' cell is around $6 - about what the CR123A costs
me at Wal-Mart.  Weight is 17.6g, vs. 16.8g for the 1.5 Ah, 3 V CR123A.  I'm
too lazy to calculate it in watt/hours per gram.

If this had come up yesterday, I'd have added a few to my Digi-Key order for
testing.  Oh well, maybe in a week or two.

Scott
N1VG