[aprssig] High speed datbase inserts (CGI)

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Mar 1 11:23:25 EST 2005

> real-time rather than in a batch mode, from files.  If you're going to
> batch the inserts, consider dropping the indices, copying the data into
> the database, then reindexing.

Yeah, that works well, but it's not something I'd want to do more than
nightly.  Not a good thing if you've got queries going all the time.  I
don't know if mysql has an equivalent, but the Oracle Loader works well for
batch loads from flat text files.  Bypasses a lot of the usual database
front end.  I can import the entire USGS GNIS name database in nothing flat,
even on a fairly slow machine.  Converting the coordinates to native point
format takes a bit longer...

Scott
N1VG