[aprssig] High speed datbase inserts (CGI)

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Tue Mar 1 01:35:41 EST 2005

Howdy,

I have a situation at my work that is very close to APRS.

I was wondering if someone could pass on some words of wisdom.

I have a stream from a data source not unlike and APRS server stream.

I would like this to be split up and end up in a MySQL database to be
searched on.

I have been experimenting with writting to files every 10 minutes and then
doing inserts into mysql
from these files. With the idea of giving the database time to breath for
searches.

I have some questions regarding perl. In the duration I am closing off one
file and opening up another,
would the telnet data be "pooled" by Net/Telnet.pm.

Would I be better off inserting straight into the database ? and not worry
about files ?

How does findu.com do it ?

I think I see two ways of doing this

1) Write data from the telnet stream into files each minute, then start a
new file and process the old files
2) Place data straight into the mysql database

My only concern is bottle necks.

Comments ?

Andy VK4TEC