[aprssig] Incorrect Position, I think...

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jun 27 23:59:53 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 09:48:18PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <needhame1 at plateautel.net> flavor, containing:
> At 09:00 PM 6/27/2005, Tom Russo wrote:
> >On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 07:37:09PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron
> >collision of the <kb0kqa at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> >> Looking on findu, it appears to be in NC.  Looking at the position of
> >> one of the digis in it's path (WX4GSO-9), it appears to be in findu.
> >>
> >> Looking at the packet you pasted, I believe it appears to have been
> >> taken off the APRS-IS and put back on RF by K5MJE-2.
> >
> >Yes, I've been seeing this one lately, too.  His posit is being reinjected
> >onto RF by K5MJE-2 and sent out over a WIDE3-3 path.
> >
> >I know both K5HAB and K5MJE, they're local in Albuquerque.  I don't know if
> >K5MJE-2's igate is doing this automagically, or if K5HAB is doing it
> >deliberately.  I'll contact them.
>
>         Aww... It isn't a problem out HERE -- I just knew K5HAB is from
> Albuquerque and thought something was wrong to make his position show up in
> NC with a path of K5MJE-2,ELKMTN,FTSUMN,MELROZ,WIDE3*.  I wouldn't bother
> them with it, unless it's causing problems in Albuquerque.

Well, beaconing a distant station from APRS-IS to WIDE3-3 seems unnecessary
given how crowded central NM is.  AFAICT from Findu, K5HAB is just tooling
along on vacation in NC using a WIDE,WIDE3-3 path, and somehow K5MJE is gating
it back here.  I suspect a configuration issue at the K5MJE-2 igate rather than
something that K5HAB is doing.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster