[aprssig] Kenwood d7 & D700 drifting OT

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jun 24 18:47:50 EDT 2005

Ah yes, you got me there.    But since the A side
woiuld already be on APRS pacekt and since
the packet side is also needed for monitoring
the 220 DX cluster, then it seems to me still
to have APRS on the A band which can tune
both the APRS on 144.39 and the DX cluster
on 220 and so that is ideal to get both.

That leaves band B for all other bands
Remmeber, in APRS mode, the TNC also
will captur DX spots its just a matter of
whetehr you tune 144.39 or the DX freq.
Bob

From: "Robert Bruninga" bruninga at usna.edu

...[snip]

With only one exception.  If you have to tune in the AIRCRAFT AM band, is the only thing that and A can do that B cannot.  But there are all kinds of things that B can do that A cannot.  SO except for the one exception above, it makes little sense to waste band B on APRS.....

Bob

  Bob'n Folks,

  I know this ain't a D700 sig, but...

  Not quite on the D700.  Only the A side tunes 222 (200-300) as well.

Gotcha:

    When the A side is on 222 (there is a 1200 baud 222 DX cluster in Mchenry IL.) the B-side 2M Rx reverts to hither-to-fore the un-published balsa setting (menu 9-3-Z) (:-).  Would someone else verify this?

    I wanted to watch the packet cluster and symul listen to the NIDXA on-air Packet-Talker announce, but the local 2M clusters are all 9600 & I just wanted to go to a  222 memory on Rx A.  When I did this, I thought I had killed my 2M Tx!!  'cuz I could only "key-up" very close repeaters.  Until I realized that I just wasn't hearing them key-up.  My oaken 2M Rx fooled me.

Here's the skinny.  I went out to the car and got my CSFTYDUOETR (Cheat-sheet-for-things-you-don't-use-often-enough-to-remember  --gotta get a better acronym).   Note the minor differences (*) in coverage for the "same" bands, A vs. B Rx.

A side norm

136-200 *1  (wider range than B)

400-470 *2

A side sub: