[aprssig] GPS FIX MOUNT FOR MOBILE USE???????????

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Jun 23 22:37:24 EDT 2005

On Jun 23, 2005, at 8:39 PM, Ed L. Locklear, KF4CHG wrote:

> One other caveat on the GPS18 PC/LVC units, DO NOT USE MORE THAN 5VDC!
> If anyone were to plug into 12VDC they surely will have a hockey puck.

I have bought and used multiple units of the PC and the LVC. The PC and
the LVC are different units (out of the box, anyway).

If you plug the 18-PCs cigarette lighter plug into a cigarette lighter
socket, nothing bad will happen.

The GPS18-PC cigarette lighter plug expects standard automotive
voltages; the specs say 8 to 30 VDC.  The lighter plug contains the
regulator, so if you remove it, the remaining wires expect a regulated
5V (4.0 - 5.5 VDC).

If you chop the cable off of a GPS18-PC between the GPS and the split,
you have a GPS18-LVC.

-Jason
kg4wsv