[aprssig] Earthmate Delorme

ke4nyv at hamhud.net ke4nyv at hamhud.net
Thu Jun 23 08:57:38 EDT 2005

Quoting Drew Baxter <droobie at maine.rr.com>:

> *laughs*  I feel the same way.  I wanted a Garmin Quest until I saw it only
> had USB. I guess I will be keeping my GPSMAP76S for my APRS.

Yeah, I have a Garmin 176C in my truck and I love it with the new Mapsource
maps.  Worth its weight in gold.

> I'm kinda tired of seeing the Kenwood D700 and D7A(G) ads in my QST like
> it's some sort of new amazing thing.  Maybe someday they'll recreate it
> with some new technology and some additional plugs in some form.   I like
> my D700, but there's so much more they could do nowadays.  Open Firmware
> would be a good start.

I'm with you a 100%.  I think what I'm more sick of is how some people regard
the Kenwood radios as being the ONLY way to go mobile or portable.  I admit, I
own a D7, its worth it to me for testing other devices with.  The RX sens. is
sh** if you ask me.  It has already made a trip back to the service center for
repair.

Thats mainly how I got into the HamHUD project almost 4 years ago.  First, I
wanted to build somthing, second the D700 was WAY too expensive and third I
just like to be different.  BTW, HamHUD IS Open Source and Open Firmware :o)

Jason KE4NYV
www.ke4nyv.com
RPC Electronics
www.rpc-electronics.com