[aprssig] Earthmate Delorme

Brad [VE3BSM] lists.nospam at bpsmicro.com
Wed Jun 22 22:33:51 EDT 2005

I have the *old* Earthmate with the Byonics gizmo connected to the GPS-In on
my D700, and the GPS-Out from the D700 to my eMap. The former is
hard-mounted in the back and the eMap on a removable mount on the dash.
That way my APRS positioning always works regardless of whether the eMap is
installed, but when it *is*, I get the luxury of seeing nearby stations on
the display, which is cool.

I'm dreaming of the new Garmin 2650 with the alleged serial add-on which
supposedly allows you to get/put NMEA on a standard serial port. I say
alleged because I have yet to see anything *truly* definite that it actually
exists. Oddly, none of the major Canadian Garmin dealers list the 2650 at
all, but if they did it'd cost about double what I paid for the D700. <sigh>
Sweet unit though.

Brad.
VE3BSM