[aprssig] Designating HOME Igates

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jun 17 21:03:37 EDT 2005

Wow!   The courtesy position report for both
ends of a QSO was fundamental to APRS-IS!
Please put it in there!  Thanks.  Everyone assumes
that if they message a station, that they will
get back a courtesy posit from the local IGate!
ANd similarly if they get a message from someone
that the will get a courtesy posit telling them where
he is!  This is fundamental to how APRS is supposed
to work.  I never knew that XASTIR left it out!

Imagine if you are traveling 1000 mile from home.
Your APRS HT is supposed to give you any message
anwyehre on the planet sent to you no matter where
you are.  But if you dont know where it came from
(local RF or 1000 miles away via IGate) then you
are really being kept in the dark about a fundamental
part of yoru communications path!  And XASTIR
IGATE must do this as a courtesy for good communications!

de Wb4APR, Bob

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Steve Slay wrote:

> Do you know if this is supposed to work with all I-gate software, or just some
> of them?

Some of them.  Xastir doesn't igate posits through to RF for
stations that are doing messaging.  I never saw the point in it, and
I guess the other 12 developers on the project haven't yet either.
Could get added any day though if someone shows an interest in it.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer