[aprssig] Universal digi path

n2lbt at spamcop.net n2lbt at spamcop.net
Fri Jun 17 19:58:56 EDT 2005

It really just sounds like you're venting because this completely
volunteer, amateur network failed you once or twice. A bunch of
people have answered you but you did not reply to that advice on the
list.

One person said that one of the areas you traveled to/in are having
some local problems with their digi. Did you offer to help this
person or offer some feedback to the performance of his digipeater
while you traveled in it's path so they can confirm your trouble?

Another person mentioned you adopt the national recommended path of
WIDE2-2 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. (good advice) You claimed to be running
WIDE3-3. If you were to run that here, your packet will only get 1
hop and then dropped. (Which is still plenty for an igate as all
digipeaters are covered by igates within 100 miles of this location)

We're all sorry you are having an individual problem, but we cannot
overcome the physics involved for you. Communication beyond your
aloha circle in this type of shared channel becomes geometrically
difficult, if not impossible.

Hundreds of folks like myself, pride ourself on the operation of our
igates, and the service that it provides our locals and people whom
travel through our area. The best way to help out is form or join a
club and make sure your area has the services needed to handle this
for you and the people that visit your area.

I suggest you monitor here, ask questions, and follow the advice and
you will succeed in many of your travels. This is a hobby man, relax.
If you want to complain to someone, pay your 49.95/mo to OnStar and
use their 1-800 number.

--
Dennis Hudson, N2LBT
Sysop APRSALY