[aprssig] Universal digi path

w2pi at optonline.net w2pi at optonline.net
Fri Jun 17 14:46:57 EDT 2005

This raises an intesting point - as I understand it, if you want to track one station (the traveller) from another (home) that are more than a hop or two apart, you have two choices:

1. Use a long path that generates QRM over a wide radius, or

2. Use a short path to reach an Igate from the "traveller", then track the traveller from "home" via the internet.

If you don't have access to the internet from "home", for whatever reason, option 2 doesn't work.

Is there an existing path mechanism that would route data over the air from a "traveller" to a nearby Igate, then back to the airwaves from a specific Igate close to "home".

Perhaps something like W1-1, W1-2, [home Igate callsign]?

This would use the internet like a wormhole to get the data off the air where it isn't needed, but put it back on the air in a specific region. This way the only packets that would be on the air would be those right around the "traveller" and those close enough to "home" to be monitored.

Just my ramblings...

Paul , W2PI