[aprssig] Understanding IGATE

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Jun 15 22:03:34 EDT 2005

Jeremy K2ORX wrote on 15/06/2005
> Are IGATEs able to gate messages to RF to stations heard over a
> digipeater? If so, Is there any intelligence to IGATEs so that the
> messages
> are transmitted following the minimum path possible and choosing the best
> possible IGATE to limit the number of transmissions?

Works fine in UI-View32. The IGate has to be enabled in the "APRS Server
Setup" by selecting "open the gateway" and by also enabling "gate local
messages." A validation number is of course required in the APRS Server
Setup.Then over in FILE - EDIT IGATE INI, tell it the "max digis for local".
Enter "0" and it will only gate messages to stations heard directly.  Enter
"2" and it will gate messages to stations heard via two digis. Best to  keep
the setting at a low number unless there aren't any other IGates nearby.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH