[aprssig] Understanding IGATE

Jeremy Bair k2orx at ungulate.net
Wed Jun 15 21:53:37 EDT 2005

Greetings all,

        This past weekend, I participated with other BRATS (Baltimore Radio Amateur Television Society) members in a public service event over on the eastern shore (Salisbury, MD). I was unable to do APRS over RF in my vehicle, so I decided to beacon my location over APRS IS only over my cell connection.

        I was not able to send a message to anyone on RF, but I was able to receive without a problem. They were able to reach an IGATE as their location was on findu, but as far as I can tell, they did not reach an IGATE directly and went through several digipeaters. We attempted to set up a local IGATE, but there must have been a misconfiguration in the IGATE setup because it did not work.

        Are IGATEs able to gate messages to RF to stations heard over a digipeater? If so, Is there any intelligence to IGATEs so that the messages are transmitted following the minimum path possible and choosing the best possible IGATE to limit the number of transmissions?

73,
Jeremy
K2ORX