[aprssig] KPC3+

Bill Herrmann bherrman at spro.net
Thu Jun 9 02:48:06 EDT 2005

At 08:59 PM 6/6/2005 -0400, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>Let me try again.  To use a KPC-3+ as a digi, plan
>on getting a new 9.0+ ROM.   Kantronics will be
>announcing how to get new ROMS soon....

Bob, since you seem to have a contact at Kantronics could you suggest to
them that it would be much simpler for everybody if they named the new
release something other than 9.0? Either 9.0.1 or 9.1 would let people
identify which it actually is so that we could say "9.0 bad - 9.1 good"
instead of  "your 9.0 bad - get new 9.0." It's not like they put out so
many versions that they ran out of 8.x numbers.

Essentially, they appear to be trying to hide the fact that they have more
than one version of 9.0 but in this information age it isn't possible to
keep stuff like that hidden. An awfully lot of us are holding off on
purchasing KPC3+ TNCs because we don't want 9.0. Even after they roll it we
won't be able to identify when it is safe to buy a new one as there will be
dealer stock on the shelves. (Of course, it would be really nice if they
would actually put flash on it like most modern stuff, but I'm not holding
my breath on that one!)

Bill