[aprssig] Help with old TNC please

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Fri Jun 3 23:47:12 EDT 2005

At 07:24 PM 6/2/2005, Steve Look wrote:
>I have run across an old Heath HD-4040 TNC-1 with the WB6ECE KISS eprom in
>it. Is there a way to test it with a terminal program? I tried connecting
>it to UIView as KISS but didn't see any indication of activity. I know...
>it's really old, but if it works....
>
>Steve

         I used one for YEARS here, but it finally died.  The cause was
that one of the chips was programmable with UV light, and it had a sticker
over the window so the program wouldn't get corrupted.  when the sticker
came off, the program was destroyed, and I had no way to reprogram that
chip.  Oh well...

         The Heathkit HD-4040 worked GREAT for APRS up until that
point.  As Andre stated, you have to have the correct Baud and parity.  I'd
suggest you start with 1200,8,n,1.  If that doesn't work, try
4800,8,n,1.  If that doesn't work, it's probably time to just start at the
bottom and work up.  As I recall, common baud rates 'way back when were
300, 1200, 4800, and 9600.

         That KISS chip for the TNC-1 is a great way to make those old $5
"hamfest special" TNC's do almost anything you want!

         7 3
         Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info

For you dog lovers: Proheart 6 is DANGEROUS and your dog may not survive!

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2004/ANS01312.html
http://www.spoiled-paws.com/ph6.htm
http://bewareofproheart6.freecyberzone.com/

All (and more) found via