[aprssig] HF and the new n-N paradigm, mobile digis

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jun 3 19:26:27 EDT 2005

Good questions!

>What would be the recommended path for APRS
>mobile/portable stations on HF?  ... the old way
>was to use GATE, WIDE ... Would the new way
> be GATE, WIDE1-1?

No, because the special path of WIDE1-1 is for
use by home and fill-in digis only.  So better to
use the path of   GATE,WIDE2-1.  It is still only
a 1 hop path but does not key up home stations.

>Also, is there any convention in place for a standard
>alias to be used for a mobile digi?  For example, ...
>I've got a pockettracker.... to make it back to my car
>DIGI...

Yes, set your D700 to digipeat by using a PC to enable
its UITRACE parameter with the permanent alias of
TEMPn-N.  This way, any mobile any time can be used
as a temporary digi, but all the other time, the digi does
not digipeat any normal on-air packets and so does not
add any problems.  But is always available.

de WB4APR, Bob