[aprssig] HF and the new n-N paradigm, mobile digis

Mark Saurman vo1one at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 17:34:31 EDT 2005

What would be the recommended path for APRS mobile/portable stations
on HF?  I believe the old way was to use GATE, WIDE to get the
position gated over to VHF, and then digipeated to hopefully reach an
igate.  Would the new way be GATE, WIDE1-1?

Also, is there any convention in place for a standard alias to be used
for a mobile digi?  For example, let's say I'm biking along a trail in
a valley and I've got a pockettracker or some other low powered
device.  I'm not going to be able to hit any digis, however the signal
should be able to make it back to my car alright where I have a decent
antenna and 50 watts capable of making it to a digi.  I wouldn't want
to set it to anything home based systems use as that would just create
QRM.  Another example would be a hamfest where the nearest digi might
be too far to be able to pick up 1/4 watt transmitters.

Thanks es 73,
Mark VO1ONE