[aprssig] Re: WinAPRS mobile

Steve Huston huston at astro.princeton.edu
Thu Jun 2 17:37:52 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
>> I don't have an answer for the original poster, but will take the
>> opportunity to pile on: for some time now I've been wanting a
>> PDA-sized APRS client to use in my various vehicles. I'd be more
>> than happy for it to be receive only - I have a tracker that
>> I move around already - but I'd really like to be able to see
>> a map with APRS activity around me. I don't think that the D7/D700/HamHUD
>> are really sufficient for my interest.
> It's the reason I (can) run a truck-mount touch-screen PC running
> Linux/Xastir in my Jeep...  Laptops or PDA's are too fragile, take
> special mounting and several cables.  Wasn't what I was looking for.
> A D700A or a HamHud don't give me mapping.

Can you point me towards some more information about this?  I've been thinking
for quite some time that I'd like to have a few features in a vehicle-mounted
system (probably too many) and nothing seems like the right solution unless I
go with some sort of PC mounted in the truck.  That, or find a couple hardware
hackers in the area to help with putting something together :>

Ideally, I'd like to have two-way APRS setup, both for messaging and for
display of remote stations on the screen.  I'd also like to have navigation
abilities.  The problem is, I don't think there's any way I can get all of
those into one display unit - some GPS navigation units can display external
waypoints (ie, other APRS stations), but wouldn't be able to handle messages,
and without paying some sort of hefty license I don't think any APRS programs
will be able to support turn-by-turn navigation (I seem to recall reading that
as the reason in one of the Xastir README files).

Thanks!

--
Steve Huston - W2SRH - Unix Sysadmin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
  Princeton University  |    ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285