[aprssig] PATH clarification when travelling

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Fri Jul 29 15:53:09 EDT 2005

Yes that's correct up to a point, but in the interim while some old
digiowners are not yet providing modern service, plain WIDE2-2 is often the
_best compromise_ for users, even mobile.  For routine use, it's more
considerate of all the other users than any 3-hop path, and it often works
better than you might think before actually trying it.
With antique digis in play, unfortunately the modern WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 path
for mobiles will only go out over one digi hop, and therefore is less likely
to be seen over a very broad area and by an IGate.  The main advantage of
using plain WIDE2-2 for now is it works over 2 hops with both modern and
antique digis, covering a very broad area on VHF and quite likely reaching
an IGate too.
Of course the best solution is for all stations to update their settings to
the new n-N paradigm.  That would be courteous to the other hams trying to
use VHF APRS.
There's good understandable up-to-date settings advice for digiowners and
other APRS users at http://nwaprs.org
73, Cap