[aprssig] Oh Gawd --- Google's gone over to the dark side ! Backing BPL !

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Tue Jul 12 14:50:55 EDT 2005

Computer viruses could be a great topic if you have concerns about
your station that you also use for APRS as well as general computing,
etc.  But I think this is a little different.  APRS is one of several
facets of amateur radio, and we were generally Amateur Radio ops
before we were also APRS ops.  If memory serves virus removal has
been a discussion in the past on the SIG.

I think 'generic ham radio news' depends on what the topic is.  APRS
is done on HF enough to warrant a HF gateway here in central Maine,
so apparently it is something that would displace a few people.  I do
think that warrants at least throwing it out there as a single news item.

The problem is the people that get irritated because someone provides
a piece of news related to this hobby as a whole that also can also
indirectly hurt APRS.  If people just simply said to themselves, "Oh,
well ok then" instead of posting how useless the information was to
them, we'd have a much cleaner SIG anyway.  This isn't any less
useless than the OpenTrac vs APRS debate that went on for hundreds of
messages last year.

By the way - I look at it more like the possibility that this is the
START of potential destruction of the ARS.  We could start losing
access to other allocations which can and are used for backend
connectivity for APRS for some of us.

Just my thoughts.

--Droo, K1XVM