[aprssig] Object DENNI_ato Cannot Be Seen on RF Path

n2lbt at spamcop.net n2lbt at spamcop.net
Sun Jul 10 13:56:34 EDT 2005

This situation should not be viewed as a simple emotional "I think
it's worse now". This theory of operation is all based on real data
and real physics. APRS was meant to operate in a local tactical
network. In my mind this means if you want to reliably communicate
you should stay in your aloha circle.

You are in a extremely active APRS area, and you should calculate for
yourself what that range is. You're running UI-View32, use the plugin
to tell your what that circle is. My guess is it's like 30 miles or
less. This means you should be attempting to send your packets
outside this area.

You appear to be sending packets out WIDE3-3 every 3 minutes. In my
opinion, operating a station in this manor is the reason we have this
massive congestion problem in the first place. Take a look at what
you're doing and how it's effecting your local and surrounding areas.

The digipeaters in Lakeland are not passing your packets. If you have
a problem with that, you should contact them and find out why they're
doing that. I'm sure there must be a reason. If you feel you have a
reason to communicate over such a wide area, you can do it directed,
ie. specify the digipeaters you want to attempt to use. (no
guarantees, this is unconnected packets), or you can lower your path,
ie WIDE2-2 which will INCREASE your coverage.

I'm can't believe that one of the most visited areas in the world
doesn't have it's own iGate, and relies on a iGate 100 miles away
apparently serving hundreds of APRS users? I thought there was one
the last time I visited. If there is, then why is a igate in St.
Petersburg running a reverse gate path into another iGate's coverage
area?