[aprssig] Object DENNI_ato Cannot Be Seen on RF Path

Geoffrey Dick wa4ikq at nevets.oau.org
Sun Jul 10 12:26:59 EDT 2005

Here we are, with Hurricane Dennis offshore a few hundred miles due
west of Orlando, Florida, and no posted storm location can be seen
of it via APRS RF links.   Here is a perfect tactical application
that has fallen flat!

I am beginning to understand Earl Needham's concern over being
isolated with the new path length limitations to APRS.  From Central
Florida we used to see these kind of RF postings.  Now all we can
see is 22 stations, with only a single Wx station showing on the
the Gulf coast, as seen from Central Florida.

One can connect to the internet and see object DENNI_ato uplinks to
APRS by NHCTCM via the servers.   This is great for people who have
high speed internet connections.   When power is lost, and the lines
and down, the people within the area of most concern will not be
able to use RF APRS to see the center of storm as posted objects.
I believe APRS has lost the tactical feature it once had with a
good RF network in place.

Geoffrey Dick, wa4ikq