[aprssig] I'm brainstorming, so don't beat me up!

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Thu Jul 7 12:49:45 EDT 2005

At 10:40 AM 7/7/2005, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>While we're at it, would some other non-standard rate _between_ 4800
>and 9600 work?  What is the maximum rate we could get through
>voice-grade rigs without modification, even if we have to change to
>a different type of modulation?

         If we're going to consider another form of modulation, I'd like to
enter my vote for 100 WPM (or faster) CW.  Maybe a LOT faster -- can we
design a system that does 1200 WPM CW?

         This mode is legal on ANY amateur frequency (except 60 meters) and
would make it a lot easier to coordinate a frequency.  We may possibly have
to add 20-WPM identification since this system is pretty much automatic.

         A couple of problems to address:

         First, note that FM rigs will transmit CW, although some have a
bit of chirp, but in the end, CW-only rigs will possibly be less expensive
and should do just what we want.

         Second, we still need a way to prevent two stations from
transmitting at once.

         Third, they need to be pretty accurate and stable as per operating
frequency.

         Fourth, how could we get a CW repeater going to replace the
current digipeater system?

         Earl
         Headed to Tyler, TX...

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info