[aprssig] 9600? Faster?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jul 7 12:40:15 EDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Scott Miller wrote:

> Would there be any improvement from running at 4800 baud?  It's still 4
> times faster than the existing system, and shouldn't push the envelope as
> much as far as the radios are concerned.  That's plenty of extra capacity
> for robust FEC.

While we're at it, would some other non-standard rate _between_ 4800
and 9600 work?  What is the maximum rate we could get through
voice-grade rigs without modification, even if we have to change to
a different type of modulation?

There's no reason we have to stick to any standard rate over the
air.  From the TNC to the computer, yes.