[aprssig] Findu stats question

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Jul 5 16:58:48 EDT 2005

Earl KD5XB wrote on 05/07/2005

> Until recently, I used the internet to see where several friends
> are, to receive weather reports, and to use my station as an IGATE.
>  I recently shut the IGATE off to see what effect it will have. Everything
> seems to be going through W5ALL in Roswell, with a bit of fading during
> the heat of the day.

It's your IGate to leave running or shut down as you see fit.

> If you want to see something really interesting, take a look at
> how often I'm getting into the internet over the past 2 or 3 days,
> it's quite a bit different.

Previously every 30 minutes, but not at all since July 2.

> Interesting thoughts here. Honestly, I like to see what I can do
> with RADIO, and I think I let the internet feed "take over" here
> and I'm taking steps to correct it.

Don't let that evil Internet  "take over" !

> > So, what's it going to be... propnet or APRS? With a HamHUD
> > on the way, I think it will be APRS for now until you get a
> > chance to acquire more gear!

> Actually, I'm leaning toward PropNet for the home station...

Go for it!

> and APRS when I'm mobile. I can give my wife a link to my position
> on Findu and she can use that, thus no need for APRS here. Gonna wait
> a bit to decide for good.

But... how does your position get gated to the APRS server that lives on the
Internet without using it, how does your XYL get to findu.com without that
same evil Internet? All kidding aside, it is a hobby, and do with it
whatever suits you!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH