[aprssig] More digis are changing to the new paradigm

Chuck Kimball n0nhj at amsat.org
Mon Jul 4 18:24:48 EDT 2005

Earl:

Sorry you won't have much to see out on the far end of the string, but
at least I won't have to look at stations in New Mexico while I'm in
Central Colorado.  The long paths you seem to want everyone to use
impacts others outside of your immediate area.  4 hop or longer paths
from Albuquerque show up in Colorado.  I don't have any need to see
anyone in NM on RF, and it disrupts packets I'm trying to get into the
system due to increased collisions.

I've added 8 digipeaters over the past few months, and I also added 3
gateways in Western Colorado so that none of the locations where you can
hit those digis is more than 2 hops from a gateway.   I've had to take
several steps to filter out stations on some of those digis because of
problems with people running large paths in Utah, Arizona, and New
Mexico.  It's unfortunate that my local users are impacted by what you
want to see, but what purpose does it serve if I'm getting packets from
New Mexico, but can see the guy 30 miles away?

I saw a couple of folks from New Mexico around Gunnison this weekend.
I'm sure they would rather be seen on the system via the internet, than
see stations in New Mexico blocking their packets.

If you really want to see a larger area, I'd suggest connecting to the
internet and monitoring it from there.

Chuck Kimball  n0nhj
Glenwood Springs, CO