[aprssig] Google maps live

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Jul 3 18:50:41 EDT 2005

Steve K4HG wrote on 03/07/2005

> OK, based on the feedback, I have switched the primary maps over to
> Google. I still have some work to go to get the options for the
> different maps updated (making APRSworld maps an option). The program
> roughly checks for a position in North America, and uses the map
> feature as the default, otherwise it uses the satellite maps as the
> default.
>
> Let me know if anyone has problems other than those related to the
> security settings of IE6...

Steve - since you changed findu.com over to the Google maps, it has worked OK on my laptop - very nice to have the satellite imagery! However, I just tried it on my desktop and I'm running into a small snag. First, because of the security settings on my browser, when I open the page (e.g. www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=k4hg) I'm asked if I want to allow software such as ActiveX controls & plug-ins to run. I tell my browser yes, and then I'm told "a script is accessing some software (an ActiveX control) on this page which has been marked safe for scripting. Do you want to allow this?" Again, I tell my browser "yes".  On my desktop, the map loads, but the station & symbol doesn't display on the map. I can click on "satellite" and it loads, but again, no station. IE6 SP2 and all of the updates. I'm sure that it's my security settings. I'll fiddle with it and see if I can get it going.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH