[aprssig] Re: Google maps live

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Jul 3 17:55:37 EDT 2005

steve at dimse.com wrote:

> OK, based on the feedback, I have switched the primary maps over to
> Google. I still have some work to go to get the options for the
> different maps updated (making APRSworld maps an option). The program
> roughly checks for a position in North America, and uses the map
> feature as the default, otherwise it uses the satellite maps as the
> default.
>
> Let me know if anyone has problems other than those related to the
> security settings of IE6...
>
> Steve K4HG

Clean sweep!

Tested on three separate PCs connected to the same all-in-one
combination  wireless access point/4-port switch/router/cable modem
(Linksys WCG-200 "Wireless Cable Gateway") via the hardwire Ethernet ports.

Works on Win 2K SP4 (with latest Windows Update patches)    in
IE6.0.2800  SP1 with latest updates,  Firefox 1.04 and Opera 8.01

Works on WIn XP SP2 (with latest Windows Update patches)    in IE60.2800
SP1 with latest updates,  Firefox 1.04 and Opera 8.01

Works on WIn98 SE (with latest Windows Update patches)    in IE60.2800
SP1 with latest updates,  Firefox 1.04 and Opera 8.01

NOTES

1)   IE set to default Internet security settings in each case.

2)   WinXP SP2, by default, sets IE to much more aggressive security
settings than in 98, 2000 and the original XP, but it still worked
smoothly after warning that it had blocked cookies.

3)   IE on Win98 popped up a message about "Site trying to download an
Active X Control. Do I Want Accept It?" (which I did)

4)   For some reason, IE took FAR longer to load the page on Win98 than
on the other machines.  The blank frame would appear and then 20-30
seconds later, the sliced image segments started to appear.  At first I
thought the browser had locked up (couldn't move it, pull down menus,
etc) but ultimately the images appeared and normal response returned to
the window.

5)   Only problem I have seen is that zooming in and out seems to
confuse Opera with some of the tiles of the redrawn image appearing and
others from the previous view remaining.   (But then I've seen this
phenomenon in Opera with other sites that use sliced images.)

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New APRS Symbol Chart
  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/miscinfo/APRS_Symbol_Chart.pdf

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs