[aprssig] new diamond x500hna

Kriss & Erin Kliegle kliegle at rcn.com
Sat Jan 29 20:11:49 EST 2005

Howdy from NH....

   I've used them for years, but they will fail unless you do preventive maintenance. The white paint will fail, depending upon wind, pollution(dust & sand abrasion), and UV intensity. When the paint fails, the fiberglass becomes a wick, and soaks up water! The guts inside will corrode due to dissimilar metals... rolled brass tubing joined with steel connectors to attaching copper loading coils. The foam used inside to keep the guts from rattling around also absorb water, corroding the metal to which it's glued. I've seen one antenna have the guts collapse internally due to this type of failure. On QRZ.com I read that one (idiot?) waxxed his antenna once a year to keep the paint in good shiny condition.
   To keep the joints from leaking, wrapping them w/Super 33+ electrical tape will help, but guying the antenna to keep it from flexing is the key. Side mounted to tower (+1/4wave length away) and guyed with PVC (UV resistant, electrical conduit) to tower will keep it from flexing in wind.

Hope it's not too late. I just re-established myself back on the APRS sig.

Kriss - KA1GJU

KA1GJU-3  WX-Digipeater  100% Solar Powered w/a 10 yr. old Diamond X-510
W1WQM repeater also 100% Solar and wind Powered w/a Diamond X-510 look-a-like