[aprssig] Re: new diamond x500hna

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 23 15:57:32 EST 2005

>Also...slide the antenna out of it's radome.  Tighten the allen screws up
>tight....then solder the rod to the adapter.  Use a really big iron to get
>the solder to flow really well into the adapter.  This will cure any chance
>of it flexing and coming lose.  That is a big antenna....the flexing WILL
>cause it to come lose and your swr will shoot sky high.

If flexing is causing the screws to loosen, then soldering is NOT an answer
to fix a mechanical problem.  Soldering is for electrical conductivity, not
for creating a mechanical bond.  The flexing will break the soldered
connection just as easily as loosening the screws.  You need to address the
problem by limiting the flex as much as possible with non-conductive
bracing, guy wires, etc.  If the antenna is side mounted this is fairly
simple, if top mounted there's probably to hope to overcome a poor design.
I have one of these and noted that the conductor is allowed to float inside
the tube, somewhat, by the way it is supported.  This will help lessen the
flex problem.  Those allen screws are fairly whimpy.  IMO the only cure is
to make a stronger mechanical bond, i.e. bigger screws or some sort of
clamp, keeping in mind this could likely change the tuning.  Or consider a
way to lock the screws down using a chemical type thread sealer or tacking
them down with a brazing iron.