[aprssig] IGate test needed

Spider spider at rivcom.net
Sat Jan 29 15:13:08 EST 2005

From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>
To: <aprssig at lists.tapr.org>; <spider at rivcom.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [aprssig] IGate test needed

>>I can tell you that UI-View will gate this without any problem.
>>It is a non-issue with UI-View.

> Though the D7 only has the first 3 lines and does not
> display that callsign at the bottom.    This display
> gives the mobile oberator everything he needs to know
> to establish a voice QSO with any other active APRS
> station

We should have called it the D700-IS! ;)

>> 90% of the Igates are not going to gate these objects.
>
> Lets wait and see.  I think the marriage of the local
> situational awareness of APRS is a perfect application
> for this.

Maybe, but they are considered pretty much self serving objects.  Think
about why we are here as hams.  Are we here to serve ourselves or are we
here as a public service?  Objects such as the WL2K that we worked on and
are doing and the IRLP stuff only benefits ourselves as hams and really has
no value as a public service.....of which we are suppose to be providing.

 I like Objects and such (FireNet, duh!).  I think "Intellegence gathering"
is the most important thing APRS can do for us to help provide data to an
incident command, etc., ...and I am talking effective information management
that would enchance management and response by helping to ensure that
decisionmaking is better informed....resource tracking, sensor data
collection, etc.  I suppose the IRLP objects could fall under resource
tracking, but really add nothing to a intelligent data display for incident
management or an EOC, etc..  I have a Burger King database and can squirt
out all the locations of Burger Kings in the USA, but it really adds no
value to the intelligent data display.....unless of course I feel like
eating!  The point being, there is not much difference.

So I suppose you have to ask yourself....what "value" are you bringing to
the table with is new data?  Does it enhance intellegence gathering...does
it provide
a public service other than to Joe Blow ham radio operator.

Just a different point of view!

73  Jim

 And I think IRLP and EchoLink are a lot of the